poison ivy

Poison Ivy

The old adage “leaves of three, let it be” helps to identify and therefore avoid poison ivy. The plant is polymorphic, growing as ground cover, small shrubs up to two or three feet high, or a climbing vine. It is often confused with virginia creeper which has five leaves. Formally named Toxicodendron radicans, it and other related plants contain urushiol (oo-rush-ee-ol) . The substance is present in all parts of the plant; leaves, stems, roots, and berries. Poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac are known to cause the characteristic itchy, blistering rash.



Other plants such as cashews also have urushiol when raw and must be properly processed, shelled and roasted, to remove the plant oil. Lacquer, the stuff that produces the beautiful shiny finish in furniture, contains small amounts of urushiol and can affect hypersensitive individuals. The name urushiol comes from the Japanese name for Lacquer, urushi.

The first time, or first few times one is exposed there usually isn’t a reaction. Only after being exposed does one become sensitized and on second exposure develop the itchy rash. This is because urushiol is an allergen, something which causes an allergic reaction , and and the allergy has to be “learned” by exposure.

Actually it is a bit more complex. Only proteins, very large molecules, can cause an allergic reaction. Much of our bodies are protein so our immune system must be able to distinguish our proteins and foreign proteins. Antibodies develop as a method to rid the body of foreign protein. A whole cascade of chemical reactions occur once the immune system identifies a foreign protein. Urushiol is not a protein but a substance know as a hapten. Haptens are small molecules which can chemically react with protein. Once a protein, for example the keratin of our skin, has reacted reacted with urushiol our bodies no longer recognize the protein as “self” but rather as foreign.

Urushiol is a fat soluble oleoresin, which means that it can penetrate the skin within an hour or two. There it reacts, “labels” the protein, and sets the allergic reaction in motion, the rash occurring several hours after exposure. Heavier exposures result in a faster reaction.

This has lead to the misconception that the allergen may be carried through the blood. For example heavy exposure to the back of the hand and only slight exposure to the upper arm means that the rash will show up on the hand first and arm only later.

Another misconception is that the fluid present in the blisters contains the poison. Once the blisters form, the poison is long gone. You can’t get a reaction just by coming in contact with someone else’s rash. You can be exposed by secondary contact however. There is a fairly wide variation is sensitivity so exposure and subsequent reaction can occur when a sensitive person handles the clothes of a less sensitive person.

In extreme cases, people are exposed by inhaling smoke particulates from burning poison ivy. This can be dangerous as the rash occurs in the throat and even in the lungs.

5 thoughts on “Poison Ivy

  1. Shannon Hathaway

    Very informative. I identify poison ivy for clients all the time. Some say they are not allergic to it. Does this mean the non-reactive persons are less susceptible to foreign proteins? Or am I misunderstanding?

  2. bob Post author

    Thanks Shannon, there are zillions of foreign proteins and antibodies are specific to each one. I know there are varying levels of sensitivity to poison ivy. I suspect those that say they don’t react have been lucky and have never receieved an initial exposure or are relatively insensitive. Given enough exposure I also suspect that they would react. [short answer] 🙂

  3. aubrey shepherd

    Great article to share. Thanks, Bob.
    Got my first bad experience with poison ivy or whichever one it was in summer 1954 at Camp Polk (now called Fort Polk) in southwest Louisiana as a first-year participant in High School Army ROTC summer camp. My mother didn’t recognize me a week or so later when I got off the train in Shreveport! Head was swelled like head of my Labrador retriever who tried to fetch a poisonous snake 40 years or so later on the Mulberry River. I walk through it frequently nowadays without a problem, but before I get down on all fours to photograph a flower or an insect on a flower, I do look around before getting down. One bad event in adulthood after an outdoor activity impaired my lovelife for a couple of weeks. Wish I had found
    documentation that a swollen area wouldn’t infect a lady with poison ivy to share at that time!

    1. bob Post author

      In the spectrum of allergens, Virginia Creeper is way, way, down there at least in terms of the fraction of the public that react to it compared to poison ivy. Sorry about the generalization. On the other hand, some folks are relatively insensitive to poison ivy.


Leave a Reply to aubrey shepherd Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.